Got some months ago in a trade this pretty mint original R-Type board:
Board was faulty, it was stuck on this static screen:
System is made of three boards:
- ROM board
- CPU board
- Video Board:
Swapping all the boards with a good set I could figure out that none of mine was properly working.So I started to troubleshoot the ROM board since it’s the most simple.The program ROMs were dumped as good but I found a bad 74LS245 @1A:
This gave me a working ROM board and a good starting point so I moved on to troubleshoot the CPU board.Analyzing the NEC V30 (uPD70116) main CPU revealed the interrupt line was asserted (active high on this CPU), here’s a screenshot from my scope triggered with RESET signal
The interrupt is generated by the uPD71059C Interrupt Control Unit , probing it revealed that input pin 3 (READ STROBE) was stuck low :
This comes from output pin 12 of a 74LS244 @IC72 :
I pulled it :
It failed the out-of-circuit testing:
Finally the board booted but with multiple issues.First noticeable one was a totally missing sound but this was because the analog audio section was modified (by factory) to work in Nintendo cabinets.I simply reverted the mod by installing the missing capacitors @C101, C102 an C108 and removed the jumper wire:
All the other issues concerned the graphics.Some examples:
Honestly it would take too long to explain in details what I did (and maybe I even lost track of it…) before the board worked fine again :
All I can say is that I had to replace in total 15 TTLs (all from Texas Instruments, are we facing another Fujitsu perhaps?)
But I claimed victory too soon , the board went bad again showing jailbars all over the screen:
I quickly pinpointed this further failure in one of the two ‘KNA6034201’ custom tiles generator on video board:
Testing it on a Kung-Fu Master PCB (where it’s used for sprites too) gave me confirm it was really bad :
Looking at this PCB I noticed that the other custom ‘KNA6034201’ was replaced by a little sub-board:
Technically speaking the custom acts like a big shift register, it can take up to 24 bit of data from tiles or sprites ROM.As you can see in the sub-board picture above the custom functions have been reproduced using six 74LS166.So I wondered myself : why not reproduce it in a more modern way?I fired up my CAD and drawn schematics and touted them to a PCB layout.I sent files to manufacturer and after some time I got the bare PCBs:
Here is the final result compared to orginal custom:
Luckily I made no design mistake and testing was 100% successful.Another board repaired and another custom IC delivered to eternity!
5 Responses to “R-Type repair log and Irem ‘KNA6034201’ reproduction”
Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.
Impressive and learn full! Thank you
Thanks.Next project is reproducing another custom, stay tuned…
you should start a new area on the site for collecting internal schematics of customs/hybrids.
others will donate data i’m sure.
i intend to reverse engineer the customs on Rygar and Commando – so that can be added when i’m done.
Wow. That’s a big load of bad TIs
Yes, they are unreliable like Fujitsu ones at least on Irem boards.