I’ve used this cheap desoldering station for many years now. Despite its quirks and constant demand for cleaning its been a great work horse.
The an immovable blockage happened recently and I just couldn’t clear it so decided it was time to replace the element. I thought I had a spare from years ago but turns out I have ordered the wrong part.
Looking for the correct part I found it was almost the same price to buy a new gun part itself and I wouldn’t have to mess around slicing the wired inside.
New gun came and all was well in the world for around 5 minutes when the unit got stuck in a reset loop.
Obviously there was a short somewhere so set to work checking resistance until I found a shorted element.
All the wires for this thing are very tightly routed and when i pulled them out I found this
Those small breaks in insulation from being sandwiched together so tight caused my issue. A little bit of insulation tape later and I was back in business